For the past several months I've felt sluggish, tired, had terrible allergies, was crabby and found myself constantly craving sweets. I've also been eating a lot more carbohydrates and less fruits and vegetables than my typical diet. Knowing that my cousins have a sensitivity to gluten, I considered going on a wheat-free diet. At about the same time we kicked-off our "holistic immersion" project at VML and one of the items was to incorporate a new healthy step or approach to your lifestyle. So I thought... why not give it a try?
On day 5, I've found a few things difficult - saying no to the piece of cake at work or the boxes of Kashi granola bars. I'm also finding it hard to determine if everything has wheat. I was happy to be able to snack on Indigo Morning! I've replaced a lot of the carbs with potatoes, squash, nuts, seeds and oats to keep me full and add variety to my diet. Last night I made spaghetti squash with light butter, salt, pepper and spices! And lunch today tried quinoa and veggies at Cafe Gratitude with the team. Yum!
I've done some research and know that I shouldn't expect results right away or really until 3-6 weeks after starting. I've also reduced the amount of soda that I drink to 0-1 cans per day. Whether it's the wheat-free, reduced caffeine or placebo effect, I already notice that I am more energetic, despite the fact that I haven't worked out as much as usual or gotten as much sleep as usual this week!
My goal is to try to follow the diet for at least 3-4 weeks to see if I notice any results. I think my biggest challenge will be Thanksgiving & the holiday season. Wish me luck!

No comments:
Post a Comment